If you want to think like a chef, you must allow your experiences with global street food to inspire your menu development. And bring that experience home to your kitchen. Watch Cheoff Geoff teach you how to make Elote, a Mexican street food and a hot pepper crema recipe. (Also, the corn has a mind of its own.)
Elote translates as “corn cob” in Spanish. This Mexican street corn is sold by vendors all over the country. My version is slightly less traditional. The corn is blackened with a spice blend, then garnished with hot pepper crema, and finished with my home made Queso Fresco. Here’s the recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzVK4… This is a perfect summer BBQ meal. It’s savoury, spicy and quite messy! Bon Appetit!
ELOTE MEXICAN STREET CORN ~ HOT PEPPER CREMA RECIPE
- 6 piece corn on the cob still in the husk
- Spice blend: 2 tb Cajun spice, 1 tb paprika, 2 tb chili powder, 1 tb garlic salt, 1 ts cayenne pepper
- Pull the husks back on the corn and tie or braid for presentation purposes.
- Measure and mix the spice blend.
- Dust the corn all over with the spice blend.
- Grill on a BBQ at 400 degrees, turning occasionally for 15 minutes or so.
- You want to blacken the spices on the corn.
HOT PEPPER CREMA
- 4 tb sour cream
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tb of your favourite hot sauce
- 1 fl oz milk
- Kosher salt to taste.
- Measure and add all the ingredients to a mixing bowl except the milk.
- Whisk together and add milk until you have a slightly viscous sauce.
- Season with salt.
- Transfer to a squirt bottle (optional).
- 6 grilled and dusted corn on the cob
- Leftover spice blend
- 2 sprig cilantro
- 2 chili peppers, fine diced
- Hot pepper crema squirt bottle
- ½ lime, caramelized (optional)
- Queso Fresco cheese frozen for 5 hours. Here’s the recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzVK44lCp3A&t=499s
- Cut one corn in coins.
- Smear some crema on a large platter
- Drizzle crema all over the whole corn and stack them.
- Garnish with cilantro, and sprinkle the chili pepper all over.
- Grate the frozen Queso Fresco all over.